<VV> early crossed flags emblem colors?

Doug Mackintosh dougmackintosh at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 27 13:11:47 EST 2011

My 1962 Monza, which I believe has an original emblem, has the black flag / red
center paint scheme you described. My 1964 project car is the same (not sure
whether that one is repro). I tried searching Corvair ads, brochures, etc, but I
was surprised that none of them seemed to show the crossed-flags emblem.

This may be one of those things where the paint scheme was changed by Chevrolet
during the production run.

Ray Rodriquez asked:

<<I've scoured the internet but haven't convinced myself I have the correct
paint scheme figured out for the 102hp engine lid flag eblem on my 63' Monza.
In the end if I don't like the way it is supposed to be I might just do it my
own way, but I'd like to know what is correct before I decide.
I found repros where both flags (left and right) are basically solid black, and
the center is red.  This doesn't seem right to me and I've seen inconsistencies
in the paint scheme of other repro emblems so I figured I'd ask the experts =).
The right flag is clearly meant to be a "finish line" flag... why the heck would
ALL the squares be black?  Makes no sense to me.  Also seems to me the flag on
the left should be red, but that is just based on Corvette emblems I've seen and
might not apply to Vair' badges.  >>

 -- Doug Mackintosh
Corsa member since 1996
Corsa/NC member since 1996, Virtual Vairs member
Corvair owner 1969-1971 and 1996-on