<VV> "Checking" for cam and lifter wear

Mark Durham 62vair at gmail.com
Sun Feb 27 18:20:43 EST 2011

Using a dial indicator is the easiest and least invasive method to
measure lobe wear, however, if you have lifters that leak down, you
may not get a good reading.

My engine had three cam lobes go bad before the engine suffered a
performance loss I noticed. There are too other ways to check lobe
wear. Pull the top and look with a good flashlight and mirror. Worn
lobes are flattter and wider across the top, have jagged edges that
will slice open your finger, and will be pitted.
Second, pull the lower shrouds, valve covers, rockers and push rods,
then the tubes. Remove each lifter one at a time and look at the
bottom. A nice wear in pattern should be evident. Corrosion and or a
line across the face means the lifter has stopped turning, the lobe is
worn, and disaster is imminent.
Do not mix the lifters up. Each lifter/cam lobe mates to each other in
a pattern unique to them.

If the wear is normal looking on all lifters, put the engine back
together and keep running the engine. Like apples in a barrel, it only
takes 1 to spoil things.

 Mark Durham