<VV> epsom salts (magnesium sulfate)

N2VZD at aol.com N2VZD at aol.com
Wed Jul 6 18:50:34 EDT 2011

olt time battery maker in our town used it in his acid. his batteries were
famous for living a long life.
it slows , or prevents sulfation , which eventually builds up to the level
of the plates , shorting them out.
i always try to buy a battery with caps that open. i always add a
tablespoon or so of epsom salts to each cell , then a short hard charge to burn  off
the slight sulfation of the plates. just enough to "warm it up".
i think it has helped the life of my batteries. i know it helped on my
boat. those batteries ( 8!) lasted at least 12 years ( i sold it with no known
battery problems).
they used to sell battery additives at places like j c whitney , that were
nothing more than a version of this cheap powder from the drug or grocery
store.
i added it to dry batteries before adding acid...
regards, Tim Colson