<VV> Update on Clutch Noise and Question

Doug Mackintosh dougmackintosh at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 6 23:06:10 EDT 2011

John, I believe the saucer with the notch is the eccentric that drives the fuel
pump. It should get sandwiched between the parts to be held tight.

I would think the pulley should end up slightly proud of the crank end. You want
the inner end of the pulley to bottom out on the crank shoulder before the outer
end became flush with the crank end, so the bolt and washer can force it against
the crank shoulder. Otherwise the bolt and washer would bottom on the
crank first, possibly leaving the pulley loose (or only if tolerances were
infinitely tight, perfectly contact both crank and pulley simultaneously).

John Green wrote:

<<....Questions on replacing the rear seal: (i) I noticed a saucer shaped piece
of
thin metal around the crank and behind the rear cover of the engine. It did
not seem to be attached to anything but had a slot cut that matched the
crank key. What is this, and do I need to do anything about it? (ii) The
pulley is not flush with the end of the crankshaft. After I used the crank
bolt and washer to pull the pulley onto the crankshaft, I removed the bolt
to see if the pulley was properly installed and saw that the pulley was not
flush with the end of the crank. Is this correct? I cannot see a significant
gap between the engine and the pulley.>>

 -- Doug Mackintosh
Corsa member since 1996
Corsa/NC member since 1996, Virtual Vairs member
Corvair owner 1969-1971 and 1996-on