<VV> $38,200 is the price

James P. Rice ricebugg at mtco.com
Thu Jul 7 13:44:36 EDT 2011

All:  Once upon a time, I had someone at a car show ask me what I would take
for my Corvair.  When I told him, he said it wasn't worth that amount.  I
readily agreed, and pointed out he ask me what I would take for it, not what
it was worth.  I then explained for him to buy it from me, he would a) have
to give me enough to get me to sell it, because I didn't want to, and b) pay
me enough to fund the hassle and work for me to recreate the car, because I
really liked it and wasn't about to sell it for "what it was worth."  Value,
boys and girls, is subjective.

That said, I confess, and I'm really sorry about this, but I find this
discussion (I'm being charitable here) nauseating.  What anybody asks for
anything is really none of your business to comment on.  You can say to rich
for my value system, or buy it.  But to pick apart someone else's asking
price is just unacceptable.  It is being petty.

Allen has busted his butt from CORSA and the Corvair hobby. And, yes, I
consider him a friend from way back.  He does not deserve your inane
comments.

What has he done to the last Corvair convertible?  Preserved it.  Enough
already.  I think that is enough.  He could be driving it, exposing it to
the dimbulbs, druggies, drunks and morons on their cell phones.  But he
hasn't done that.  Think of the his price as car value plus storage
cost...plus a reward.  He has preserved and enhanced the cars value by
preserving a "last of" Corvair.

Or is the core issue jealousy?  Hardly any of us has a first or last of
anything.  Never have and never will.  Because of this condition, some
apparently feel compelled to tear down someone who had the foresight to buy
a "last of" car.  He deserves our good will for having the smarts and
resources to do this.  And for not driving it into the ground.

You ought to be cheering for Allan.  But noooo, you choose to tear at him,
and, in doing so, the Corvair hobby itself.  Someday when you depart this
life as we know it, someone will wish you hadn't contributed to keeping
Corvair prices low.  To your shame and net loss of their inheritance.

Historically Yours,
			James Rice

PS: So why isn't CPF, with the large bank account, not trying to buy this
car?  Or are they?