<VV> [FC] tunes in the GB

EVERETT WILSON aircooled6 at prodigy.net
Thu Jul 7 15:44:01 EDT 2011

Al,

I dont know if you have a super nice van or if it's a driver like mine, but I
eliminated a LOT of noise by going to Home Depot and buying a couple yards of
carpet padding - I think I got the 1/2 inch stuff.  I then laid it out over the
engine room, including up over the fenderwells and rough cut it to fit with a
razor blade.  Then, to cover the padding (its ugly and doesnt wear well), I
"obtained" one of the big blue moving pads that u-haul has and laid it out over
top of the carpet pad, again, up over the fender wells.  I had to fold the pad a
little, since I didnt want to cut it.  The two pads cover the scratched up deck
from behind the rear seat to the doors and side-wall to side-wall and really
make the van more livable when driving.  They are not attached in any way, but
dont fly around either.  The blue moving pad is heavy enough to stay in place by
gravity. You can still hear the engine running, but it is a nice purr rather
than a loud roar, even at freeway speeds.

Someday, when I get a few minutes, I want to get a new piece of the carpet
padding, a little longer so that it would continue down over the floor
underneath the rear seat.  I would have to cut out a hole for the heater outlet
back there and I think that would cut out the rest of the louder drive train
noise.

Also, since the two pads are light, if I need to get into the engine
compartment, I just flip them up over the back seat and pull them back down
afterwards.  Takes 30 seconds to put back in place.  Yes, it looks industrial,
but I drive my Vairs (neither one is a show winner) and going deaf should be
done by loud music, not loud mechanicals.

I have a stereo and speakers that I bought about two years ago, still in their
boxes.  Every once in a while I feel like I should probably install them, but
something else comes up and to be honest, I enjoy the purring of the engine and
the peace and quiet driving back and forth to work where the phones ring all day
and home where the kids yell and scream all evening.  Both of those sounds are
fine, but a short break between them is welcome.  Oh, the other advantage is
that you can hear people yelling "What year is that thing?" and "Cool Van" as
you drive.

Everett Wilson
North Richland Hills TX
64 Greenbrier 110/PG (No Radio)
67 500 4 dr 110/pg/ac (No radio here either)