<VV> conventions, 5997 and attitude and comments on VV

mike hicks mhicks130 at cox.net
Thu Jul 7 23:30:20 EDT 2011

 >All: Once upon a time, I had someone at a car show ask me what I would
take
 >for my Corvair. When I told him, he said it wasn't worth that amount. I
 >readily agreed, and pointed out he ask me what I would take for it,
not what
 >it was worth. I then explained for him to buy it from me, he would a) have
 >to give me enough to get me to sell it, because I didn't want to, and
b) pay
 >me enough to fund the hassle and work for me to recreate the car,
because I
 >really liked it and wasn't about to sell it for "what it was worth."
Value,
 >boys and girls, is subjective.
 >James Rice

Yes, exactly this.  I love this story.  Value or worth are
subjective/relative.  BUT, when we say a car is "worth" a certain
amount, it's usually based on what other similar cars have sold for in
recent history.  Of course a unique car like this is hard to get comps
on. But at the same time, just because a seller asks a certain amount
for a car doesn't make it "worth" that. When a buyer agrees and hands
over the coin, then yes, it is "worth" that much (to at least one person).

I was somewhat taken aback by this strawman argument from Charlie Doerge:

 >ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!    Allen Bristow has been there for CORSA for many
years and
 >I'm tired of seeing everyone bash him and his car.

I haven't read anything that "bashes" allen or even the car. The
weatherstripping yes, but it IS crumbly so it's more of a fact than a
bash.  I'll grant you a nitpick.  Oh, and maybe the interior color but
unless you're the GM designer who picked it back in 1969, why would you
care?  If someone buys this car, I doubt the interior color will be a
deciding factor.

 >FACT:    Allen has a car for sale. The last I heard, anyone can sell a
car,
 >house, etc for whatever they want to sell it for. Last I heard it was
still a
 >free country. If you don't like it- BITE ME! (sorry, Hank).

Sure anyone can sell a car but I haven't read anyone saying anything
about how Allen can't (or shouldn't).  People are just saying it's not
worth that much to THEM. You might not care about that but like you say,
it IS a free country so they can state that opinion if they want to.

 >FACT:    If the free market allows a buyer with the money and desire
to purchase
 >the car at Allen's price. it will be sold. Case closed.

Absolute truth right there.  Once again though, I haven't read anything
saying anything otherwise.

 >FACT:    There is nothing any of us can do about it, except buy the
car at a
 >price acceptable to Allen. Don't want to? Then don't, but there is no
reason to
 >complain on a public forum. We're here to help each other not beat
each other to
 >death......

Do something about it?  I haven't read anything saying something should
be done about it.  I don't think people are complaining, just discussing
their feelings on the car, the price, the condition of certain parts and
etc.  It's a discussion.  That's what happens here.  Just because some
don't like reading things they don't agree with doesn't mean the people
writing it are "bashing" anyone.

When you go to sell a car and ask more for it than has been asked in the
past, people are going to discuss it.  That's just the way it is.  No
need to get the panties in a bunch.

For the record, even though I don't like Allen Bristow (due to things
he's posted to/about me on the Corvair Center forum), I hope he DOES get
his asking price.  I don't begrudge him his profits and I don't mind a
collectible Corvair selling for a collectible car price.  I wouldn't pay
it but I'm not a collector.  I wouldn't pay that much for a 69 Yenko
Camaro either if that makes you feel any better.  I guess I am cheap but
it's really more because I don't see cars as investments, I see them as
cars - things to work on and drive and have fun with.  I love driving my
run of the mill cheapo 65 convertible and I really don't think this one
would be any more fun to drive than my old girl.  Plus mine has a 4
speed - hubba hubba!

mikeH
tidewater, va