<VV> help - flooding

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Wed Jul 13 21:31:13 EDT 2011

This reminds me of my list of things to check learned many years ago (the
hard way).  When something goes wrong don't check the most likely first,
check the EASIEST-to-fix first, the go down the list checking the next
EASIEST,  then the next, so that the hardest stuff to fix occur at the END of your
list.  You don't want to spend hours checking the hardest stuff when you
should check the "10 minute fix" stuff FIRST.
Generally, the electrical stuff is the easiest to check first.  If you  put
a ohmeter (DVM or digital volt meter is the common name now) on the
ignition  coil it should read low ohms (1 to a few) on the primary and a few
thousand ohms  on the secondary.  Sometimes the coil reads fine when it is ambient
 temp. but at higher operating temp. the secondary might show  an INFINITE
ohm reading.  That indicates a BAD coil when it gets hot  from operating the
engine for a while.
Intermittent problems are the worst to solve.  Many years ago when I
rebuilt the carbs on "Joe Cool" (1966 95 hp with PG and A/C) I noticed on hard
right turns the engine would briefly "cut out" then return when the car
straightened out.  Of course, it had to be a carb problem since I had just
rebuilt them to solve an off idle problem (which it did).  I delayed the  fix
(all that work to repeat) until one morning the intermittent problem
FORTUNATELY turned into a PERMANENT problem and the car would simply not  start.
Now the problem was much easier to find and fix.  On the 66  with A/C the coil
is located back up against the back panel of the engine  compartment and
the wire from the points to the coil passes by a bracket located  to the LEFT
of the wire.  On a hard RIGHT turn the wire moved LEFT and  contacted the
bracket grounding out the electric current from the points to  the coil
through the bad old insulation on the wire.  As soon as the car  went straight
again, the wire moved back and the ground was gone.  It was a  simple matter to
insulate the wire until it could be replaced with a newer  one which solved
the problem.
So before you start working on the carbs, make sure the ignition system is
operating correctly.

Frank "learning over time" Burkhard

In a message dated 7/13/2011 8:03:52 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,