<VV> My Corvair Stopped. Why?

Robert Marlow Vairtec at optonline.net
Fri Jul 15 23:07:55 EDT 2011

It was a beautiful summer evening here last
night, so I decided to go to a local cruise night
in the 1964 coupe (140-hp, 4-speed).

The car had not been driven since last September
and had not even been started since earlier this
Spring.  (This is tantamount to child neglect, I
know, but life sometimes has other priorities.)

Anyway, I start the car (I keep a battery tender
on it and it has an electric fuel pump with a
switch with which I can prime the carbs) and I
drive it around the driveway to a shady spot and
do a quick cleanup and a check of the vitals.

I then restart the car and take off for the cruise night...

... I make it less than two miles from the house
and the car begins to miss and buck as if it is
not getting fuel.  This worsens over the course
of a quarter mile, until I am forced to give up
and coast to the side of the road, engine dead.

Cranks but will not restart.

I have zero tools with me.  The tool bag is in
the trunk, but it turns out that it is the
“wrong” tool bag, it is the one with the spare
parts.  The one with the actual tools in it is back home in the Rampside.

There is gas in the tank and the fuel pump still
works, so without tools all I can do is pop off
the air cleaner and check for fuel at the
carbs.  Perfectly normal squirts from the accelerator pumps.

So, ever optimistic but planning to turn around
if it starts, I crank it again.  Now it cranks
and fires, but dies immediately upon releasing
the key.  This little exercise in doing the same
thing while expecting different results continues
for a few minutes before, for the second time in
over 40 years of Corvair driving, I call for a tow.

The very accommodating AAA rollback driver backs
right up to my garage door and deposits the car
from whence it came an hour earlier.

Not wanting to be defeated by this, I then took
the Rampside to the cruise night.

So, where to begin looking?  Again, it started
and ran for five minutes, then began to miss and
lose power, then quit, has gas at the carbs, and
will now fire only for the second before I
release the key from the “start” position.

–Bob Marlow