<VV> Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix Report, looong one!

Rick Norris ricknorris at suddenlink.net
Mon Jul 18 19:46:30 EDT 2011

All,
I have finally found some time to do a proper report on our Corvair excursion to the 29th running of the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix.
As I have reported previously Dave Edsinger and I had agreed to run this event. We did have the mystery guest who turned out to be Mike Levine with his A Sport Racer V8 Vair. His participation hinged on his getting approval to run the races without doing the Friday test and tune which the VRG (Vintage Race Group) requires of first timers with them.  After getting confirmation (we are dealing with three entities that run this affair) that he could run he and his son Eli made the 11 hour haul from Atlanta to Wampum, PA, which is where BeveRun is located.

Dave and I were there for the Friday test and tune. Dave missed most of the morning sessions as he was doing the school for his VRG license. He decided to do this as he runs with this group. Since I have an HSR vintage license I was not obligated to do their school.
There was the usual tech inspection and registration paperwork plus a goodie bag but no free T-shirt!
We both ran the afternoon sessions except I did not run the last one. I felt comfortable where I was and I used one session to scuff in and heat cycle my new slicks. Damn I love racing slicks!

After we were finished for the day Dave & his wife Judy, me and my wife Janet went to a local Mexican restaurant called Mad Mex for Judy's birthday plus I wanted a nice big Margarita! There was a free feed at the track but, we opted out. Bob Coffin who also came up to watch and help out stayed for the freebies and said it was a good spread.

Saturday was another dry low humidity day with some nice overcast in the morning making perfect Corvair racing weather. It was also the day with the largest attendance. Lots of people in the paddock.
They said at the drivers meeting this was the largest turn out for this event they have ever had. I'm glad the Corvairs were there to play a part. Speaking of Corvairs, there were two Devins running Corvair power. One was a 180 turbo and the other was a stock 140. Both of them were nice cars. One was pitted next to us.

We had one 10 minute untimed practice session and then a 10 lap qualifier to set the grid for the first of two sprint races. The first one was a 15 lap or 20 minute race and the second one was an 11 lap or 15 minute race.
we had a registered field of 44 entrants but, only 33 made the grid. The times for the qualifier were as follows;

Mike Levine: 6th with a fast lap of 1:09.049.
Dave Edsinger: 18th with a fast lap of 1:11.949.
Rick Norris: 22nd with a fast lap of 1:13.578.

This is where we were gridded for the first 15 lap sprint race. We finished with Mike in 4th, me in 14th and Dave in 26th. Dave lost a lap because he went off track to avoid contact. When you spin or have four wheels off you must come to the pits for a look see and then go back out.

The 11 lap sprinter was a field of 29 cars with Mike coming in 5th, Dave in 12th and me in 26th. Here it was my turn to go off. A Z28 with no patience wanted around and it was let him hit me of go off. It was on the back straight with lots of run off room so I ate a bunch of dead grass. I went to the pits as required but, I saw the one to go sign and went on the paddock as it was pointless to go back out for one lap.
It was a great day of fast and furious fun!

We did attend the dinner at the track for the drivers and crew. Not sure it was worth the price food wise but it was all part of the event. Afterward back at the hotel and after a cool shower we sat outside discussing the days events while enjoying some cold adult beverages. It don't no better'n this! As Dave said we looked like a bunch of red necks sittin on the porch watching traffic!

Speaking of crew, my son-in-law came down from Cleveland Saturday with two friends so I had my own crew. He has been with us at all three Mitty events and knows what I need done to the car. I could get used to that! Of course the pay isn't very good!
Also like to mention the only other Corvair person to show up was Billy Cannon on Sunday who also lent a hand.

Sunday dawned as another sunny but more humid day for racing. Not good for fat guys in quilted suits!
We have two events with a 15 lap sprint race to set the grid for the final 17 lap feature race in Group 2.

Mike had stated last night he wanted to go out and run hard for the first part then, cool it and wait for the feature race. Mikes differential had other ideas. About 6 laps in he was parked off track on the back straight with a broken gear.
That left Dave an I to carry the Corvair banner. After the sprint race for the starting positions we sat 7th and 13th respectively out of 32 starters.

The last race was just as exciting as the first one for me. Dave was again faster than me but, we had discussed "team orders" and he would slow enough so we could both cross the finish line for that big photo op. As it happened there was no one to actually race with the last few laps so true to his word he was poking along around turn 10. I caught up to him and was content to finish behind him but, he was waving me around. I thought okay we want to try crossing in tandem but, he let me go ahead and finish ahead of him. What a guy! Not many people I know would do that. You could say he threw the old slow guy a bone! GG!

Best lap of the week end: Mike= 1:08.01, Dave= 1:11.28, Rick= 1:12.23.
Fastest lap, Group 2, 1974 Porch 914-6= 1:03.13

Sunday was also special as my daughter came down from Cleveland with two of my grand daughters to watch and cheer Granddad on. They hadn't seen me race since the Yenko Reunion in 2006.

Any way you look at it, we all had a great week end of racing, friends, family and showing off Corvairs. People took notice.

I'll have some video up soon, photos later as Janet shot over 500 again!

Rick Norris
#36 Sunoco Corvair
www.corvairalley.com