<VV> Reusing LM pistons

Mark Durham 62vair at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 08:44:44 EDT 2011

The answer is definitely no. It may not have had the cam and crank
done, but since everything else can be removed, no. Take my car.
Bought it 3 years ago with 67K miles, a 1 owner. When I took it apart
this last winter due to three flat cam lobes, I found the top end,
including pistons, had been redone. The cylinders were so worn out I
was getting 60- 80 thousands end gap on the used rings and a oil
control ring just fell thru the cylinder when I took it off the piston
and slid it into the cylinder to check its end gap. It was using lots
of oil, too. And I had new pistons, EGGE brand, that had no wear. I
found it cheaper to get new pistons and .030 cyls than to get the new
full fin std cylinders, since I wanted to do recon rods, to make sure
the rod bearing bore is round.
But a good thing was the heads had also been done. All the valve
guides were in new tolerances. I replaced all the valves due to
corrosion at the tips where the rocker runs, but all I had to do was
lap the new tuftrided valves into the seats. Easy. Mark Durham