<VV> No 4 Main bearing

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Sun Jul 31 12:16:48 EDT 2011

At 12:55 PM 7/30/2011, aeroned at aol.com wrote:

>I'm in the process of building a LM 95 hp engine. The main bearings
>didn't have "one that was different" for number 4, the one that's
>1.5 thousands off off. All of the bearings plasti-gaged good. The
>torque to turn the crank with the pistons is about 13 foot pounds.
>So is there a problem with that?
>
>Ned

13 lbs-ft to turn the rotating assembly is fine.   Anyway, that
offset main in the back (front?) is mostly to eliminate that "mystery
noise" that wasn't evident in all engines (who knows why) and wasn't
all that obvious to begin with, and actually serves no real useful
purpose in my humble opinion other than to make Mr and Mrs
McGillicuddy happy and not ask the salesman "why is that little thump
noise there sometimes when it idles?"

I've used both bearing sets, those with and without the offset main
and never noticed any difference either way.   I don't think it
amounts to a hill of beans.

tony..