<VV> help!! LM steering box assy

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Sun Jul 31 14:27:15 EDT 2011

In a message dated 7/31/2011 1:36:10 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
kovacsmj at sbcglobal.net writes:

Took it  apart. Looked good. Replaced the bushings and seals. Now
assembling the
nut and shaft with new balls. The instructions in the 1965 manual are a
bit
vague. I did divide the new 48 balls into 4 groups. 2x18 = 36   and 2x6 =
12.

The instructions in sect 9 page 9-6.
1. The worm can  be inserted into the ball nut from either side, But it
also
says to  "...slip the nut over the worm with the ball guide holes up and
theshallow  end of the  rack teeth to the left of the steering wheel
position".....
I use figure 13 as my guide.  I agree that the "left of the steering  wheel
position" means "left of the steering wheel end." but I really don't know
what they mean by that.

2. This  nut I have has an obvious but shallow V mark stamped into one side
near
the top where the balls are inserted. Any significance?

3. OK, I  got the 36 balls to put into 2 holes on the same side. Does this
mean
to  fill one hole with 18 and then fill the next hole with 18 or should
they be
done simultaneously?
I don't think it matters as long as all the balls are evenly spaced.   You
may have to turn the worm back and forth a little or use a punch or rod to
seat them.  I did.

3A. With the end of the shaft with the splines to the right  and the shaft
inserted into the nut, should the nut be close to the spline  end (right)
or the
other end (left) when I again try to stick the  !^!@& 36 little balls in.
It shouldn't matter.  Just keep everything really clean and the balls  will
settle in.  Be sure to use a big pea sized dollop of Vaseline to keep  the
2 x 6 balls in the 2 guides as you insert them with the guides into the
nut.  It's a real pain to chase the balls down, clean them and reinsert  :)

I will put new bearings in as the cages looked a bit  damaged. I wont
replace
the races as they look to be fine and a bear to  get out. Strong magnifying
glass
and bright light were a big  help.

MIKE KOVACS