<VV> Torch song

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Thu Jun 2 12:19:28 EDT 2011

Frank DuVal Writes:

And because of that I gas welded a handle on a door recently as  I
had no other welder available, and "they" wanted the handle on before  they
could call the welding shop the next day. First thing I had gas welded  in
years.

But nothing is better for rusted fasteners!

So Seth  adds:
Another good thing about gas welding, if you get good at it, TIG  welding
is much easier to learn. A TIG welder is just an electric torch! Before  I
bought my TIG welder, I took a course at our local Vocational training
school. 50% of the class were young guys wanting to make welding their job, the
rest were old guys getting the low-cost time to work on projects and verify
if  they could run the machines before beginning a project. I was in the
latter half. The instructor required everyone to produce all the  standard weld
samples with the torches before we could touch the TIG  welders. A year
later, I took the class again to MIG-weld the crossmember  and trailing arms
for a project, then I finally bought a MIG welder.

Remember - a project is just an excuse to buy more  tools!

-Seth Emerson