<VV> NOS Pilot bushing wanted

kevin nash wrokit at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 6 12:59:56 EDT 2011

Hi Carlton-
I now understand your point of view, that the most recent batch of pilot bushings
might be causing your problem. You might want to inform "the vendor" of your findings-
It is entirely possible that they mistakenly ordered alloy 932, which is "bearing bronze"
but is non porous, and has no oil in it. The 2 other mistaken possiblities are SAE 863 (aka Super Oilite)
- this is the one that a magnet will stick to ( therefore dont use), and Alloy 954, which is
also non-porous.

The correct material is SAE 841, which is also refered to as Oilite. If the bushing that you bought
had no pores in it, it not Oilite, and if it has pores in it, but a magnet will stick to it, it is Oilite, but
the composition is wrong for the application (Im guessing it doesnt work because its too hard, and
leaves the input shaft too loose after installing). Because the correct material is common and
widely available (McMaster Carr carries these bushings in all common sizes), Its entirely possible
that there was an ordering mistake by the vendor. By the way, SAE 841 bushings from McMaster Carr
cost apx $ 5.00, at a size close to the Corvair pilot bushing size.
Kevin Nash