<VV> Distributer shaft

Doug Mackintosh dougmackintosh at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 6 20:30:43 EDT 2011

I don't know the tolerance, but I had the roll pin supporting the thrust washer
on the shaft at the bottom of the housing (which controls upward movement) break
on one of my distributors. It moved up enough to grind the mechanical advance
pins off against the underside of the points plate, eventually causing a spring
to come off and wedge against the shaft, locking everything up. I think it also
was hitting the underside of the cap. Not sure which will make contact first
(the mechanical advance mech or the rotor/cap).

It is easy enough to check for the problem I had - just pull the distributor and
look at the thrust washer/roll pin.

Ralph asked:

<<With the car idling unevenly I started looking for obvious signs of things out
of place, I was visually checking the internals of the distributor. I noticed
evidence of the rotor hitting the plastic base of the contacts on the cap. Like
just once or so, but still??? So I tried to twist the shaft, it moved very
little. I tried to pull up on the shaft, I was able to lift it 5/64". What is
the tolerance for this?
I know more about driving that wrenching, but I would like to give my mechanic
some intellengent direction, in this problem.
Thanks Ralph
65 Corsa 140>>
 -- Doug Mackintosh
Corsa member since 1996
Corsa/NC member since 1996, Virtual Vairs member
Corvair owner 1969-1971 and 1996-on