<VV> Removing an Early windshield

corvairduval at cox.net corvairduval at cox.net
Thu Jun 9 15:41:03 EDT 2011

Timothy, Ron and Hank are right, just cut the old gasket and lift the
windshield out. Real simple.

Cut what?  Look on the inside of the car, and cut the rubber lip of the
gasket that you see. This lip is what is holding the rubber into the car.
The windshield glass is held in the rubber in a different channel. Leave
the stainless steel trim in place in the gasket, and remove everything in
one unit. Then you can wiggle the rubber and get the trim and windshield
glass out of the rubber gasket. Taking it out is a one man job.

Watch out, the box cutter should be sharp, new blade. It will cut you and
other car parts that you don't want to cut. If it has a dull blade, so much
force will be used that I guarentee you and the car will suffer damage.
Remove the inside rear view mirror and sun visors just to get them ou tof
the way. It is not necessary, but helpful.

The lip you are to cut is the furthest lip away from the center of the
windshield. The one closest to the headliner, side posts, etc. I think you
have to remove the inner metal trim from this area also.

If you cut the sides and top, you can lift the assembly out of the car
without cutting the bottom, which is a (*^%^$^% due to the proximity of the
dash.

Installation involves small rope and lots of soap, like pink liquid
bathroom soap.

Flame on!

Frank DuVal