<VV> Fwd: Harmonic Balancer / Solid Pulley on 140

Matt Nall patiomatt at aol.com
Sun Jun 12 22:39:07 EDT 2011

Matt, Even though you are an "engineer type" I would not second guess the
engineers GM had in the '60s. Especially on such a critical part. Since it was
stated money was an issue, I would put a new rebuilt balancer on this engine.
Much cheaper than the cost of a broken crankshaft.
Timothy Shortle in Durango Colorado

No reflection on the original poster....I can't even recall who it was..

If $$  are a problem.. then the person doesn't have money to go on long trips on the highways...  IMO!

Over at the CCF we just helped a guy  get an early going  so he could get a job  delivering pizzas.....he had "0"  $$$

 This included an engine exchange!

He now is a member of the local chapter of Corsa....and just got a better job thru  the club!

 There is a method to the madness!

I can also tell you from EXPERIENCE

The cranks that break are usually daily driven in high speed traffic....  up down up down in speeds, etc... or raced...

  None of the other scenarios seems to break them.  And it's not instantaneous....

I drove a 110  with cast pulley with 3.89's... 4,000 rpm  all day long going to Tahoe / Palm Springs, etc...

13k miles on the "unknown" engine and   no broken crank......

 I won't comment on how I feel about the cost of these type parts...  gggg

Matt Nall
Charleston, Oregon
http://mysite.ncnetwork.net/reswr0kp/