<VV> Fwd: Harmonic Balancer / Solid Pulley on 140

Ken Pepke kenpepke at juno.com
Sun Jun 12 22:52:18 EDT 2011

It is true that Corvair engines are NOT externally balanced.  Corvair balancing consists primarily of getting all the like reciprocal parts to weigh the same.  Rotating parts are balanced to turn about their center.  The majority of Corvair dynamic balancing comes from its opposed cylinder design.  It has been suggested there is a magical point of 4300 in the RPM range where the harmonic balancer becomes effective.  In reality, harmonics run through the whole RPM range like a sine wave.  There is a degree of stress added to the internal parts even if the driver cannot hear or feel the vibrations.  Apparently, GM thought to save a little money on certain low performance / low option models by equipping them with the inertia pulleys.  Fact is, it was an 'accounting' improvement rather than an engineering improvement.

Corvair owners have long been accused of being cheap; some even brag about it.  Perhaps some are so proud of their 'cheap' status they might employ the inertia wheel / pulley to demonstrate their devotion to that principal.  But, why on earth would any real 'car enthusiast' even think about choosing such a substandard part?

As for externally balanced engines [such as 454 Chevies, etc.] that have mass added to part of rotating mass of the harmonic dampener and flywheel, the first step by any serious engine builder is to rework the engine to INTERNAL balancing.  They ALL use a harmonic balancer and NOT an inertia wheel in these applications.

Ken P
Wyandotte, MI
Worry looks around; Sorry looks back, Faith looks up.