<VV> Harmonic Balancer / Solid Pulley on 140

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Sun Jun 12 23:45:33 EDT 2011

In a message dated 6/12/2011 9:00:33 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
rsampson at kc.rr.com writes:

I'd only  use on an engine that's been balanced with the rest of the engine
 components

>From what I have been reading here it would appear that nobody  understands
the function of an Harmonic Balancer. Probably that is because there  are
NO HARMONICS involved here and also that there is NO  BALANCING going on with
the harmonic balancer.

This device that mounts on the back end of the crankshaft and replaces the
pulley really is a TORSIONAL DAMPER. It reacts to the twisting of the
crankshaft  caused by the piston impulses and dampens them. And when these
impulses occur at  the crankshaft's natural frequency they build up into a force
that fractures the  crankshaft. After many of these occurances the fractures
grow to cracks and then  breakage. By dampening these impulses the
crankshaft is preserved.

Regards,
Bob Helt