<VV> Harmonic Damper(Not balancer)

Smitty vairologist at cox.net
Mon Jun 13 11:54:44 EDT 2011

Smitty Says;  I don't know if is magic or not, but the 6th harmonic
torsional  vibration of an Early crank is shown in the SAE papers as
4,300-4,400 rpm.  Not much danger there for the average drivers engine.
When they changed the stroke in 64 that obviously changed the max vibration
point.  I have read (and maybe one of you can tell where the statement came
from) that with the Late engine, destructive vibrations were noted as low as
2,700 RPM.  If that is the case, then a cruise speed of 60 MPH is pretty
close.
Most of us and that includes you, are not qualified to say why they left the
damper off of the Late 95 engines.  Many factors come into that other than
stroke.  Even the slight difference in the sharpness of the impact of the
higher compression forces would affect torsional vibration.
As a survivor of a broken crank at Midland South Dakota. I am putting
dampers on all my Late engines.