<VV> Fw: Flywheel/Crank Bolts

Joel McGregor joelsplace at earthling.net
Fri Jun 17 15:45:04 EDT 2011

I agree.  Grinding a little off the socket does wonders.  This is also a place where a Snap-on socket is worth the money.  They actually do grip better that others.  I've had Craftsman 6 point sockets round off a head and then used a Snap-on on the rounded bolt and it loosened it right up.  This is even more noticable with line wrenches.  The Snap-on line wrenches will work even on lines that are pretty mangled by pliers.  No - I have no stock in Snap-on and realize that a lot of their products are even made by the same companies others sell.
Since I'm on tools here's the best tool I've ever purchased:  https://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=hand&item_ID=90528&group_ID=107&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog
It's a swivel head 1/4" ratchet that looks goofy.  Mine has a different grip since it's 25 years old.  The local Snap-on guy talked me into buying it and I was pretty skeptical.  Now I use it 99% of the time I use a ratchet.  It has almost totally replaced my 3/8" stuff.  It does cost $100 now.  I paid $50 for mine way back when.  Worth every penny.
Joel McGregor

Joe,

Not much chance of breaking those bolts, they are grade 8 and receive a hefty
torque when installed.  What you want to be sure to avoid is rounding off the
heads, they are thinner than normal.  Be sure to use a 6 point socket, I have a
sixpoint socket with the bolt end ground off 1/8 inch to get rid of the rounded
"entry" curves so that I have full contact between the socket and bolt head.
Remember not to mix the bolts between the flywheel to crank and flexplate to
crank, they are different lengths.  If you mistakenly use the longer flywheel to
crank bolts on the flexplate you can damage the timing gear.

Terry Kalp
Wichita, KS