<VV> buyer beware tool

Grant Young gyoungwolf at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 19 09:34:11 EDT 2011

I recently purchased some things known as a combination drill and tap. You can supposedly drill out an offending screw and re-tap the threads without changing tools. Since I deal with a lot of carburetors with screws broken off in the body and spend quite a bit of time drilling and tapping, this seemed like a dream come true. I purchased the Craftsman brand, thinking the quality might be better than a China brand, but the first one I tried to remove and tap a broken bowl cover screw snapped in half. Thinking it might be a fluke, I tried a smaller one to see if the tap portion worked, and it didn't (just stripped threads when the drill tip stopped drilling). So, if you are thinking about buying a set of these, my advise is to think again stick to tried and true methods, at least for carbs.

Grant