<VV> regulator

vairjer at comcast.net vairjer at comcast.net
Sun Jun 19 10:22:32 EDT 2011

snip> a fter looking around the engine harness and
checking under the dash for any shorted wires and finding none I decided to
pull the positive lead off the battery. When I did I heard a click from the
voltage regulator or so that's where it sounded like it was from<<

The "cutout" relay in the regulator is designed to disconnect the generator field coils from the battery when the voltage falls below a preset amount...the points can "stick/lightly weld" but they core of the relay can become magnetized as well and hold the points closed thus supplying current and providing a warning light staying on, showing that there is a drainage going on. Once the battery is disconnected the lack of voltage permits the spring on the relay to overcome either the sticking points or the residual magnetism.

Jerry McKenzie
PCCA
former Delco Remy Quality test engineer