<VV> buyer beware tool

Dennis Johnsey USN (ret) dilligras at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 20 16:21:57 EDT 2011

I broke the head off one of the lower bolts on a rear shock last week. I tried several types of "back it out" bits, to no avail. Now I'm on my back, awkwardly holding a drill at arm's length to drill it out.
Normally, such a turn of events would necessitate an extended period of quiet thought, in order to muster the powers of cerebration required to invent an appropriate series of pejoratives for the responsible party in Chevy's engineering department.
Unfortunately, honesty insists that I consider the possibility that I was turning the (upside down) bolt in the "righty tighty" direction, due to randomly occurring spatial discordance.
And so it goes...
DR Johnsey
'62 Custom Corvan
--------
I recently purchased some things known as a combination drill and tap. You can supposedly drill out an offending screw and re-tap the threads without changing tools. Since I deal with a lot of carburetors with screws broken off in the body and spend quite a bit of time drilling and tapping, this seemed like a dream come true. I purchased the Craftsman brand, thinking the quality might be better than a China brand, but the first one I tried to remove and tap a broken bowl cover screw snapped in half. Thinking it might be a fluke, I tried a smaller one to see if the tap portion worked, and it didn't (just stripped threads when the drill tip stopped drilling). So, if you are thinking about buying a set of these, my advise is to think again stick to tried and true methods, at least for carbs.

Grant