<VV> Mid-Ohio Vintage Races

James P. Rice ricebugg at mtco.com
Mon Jun 20 17:13:09 EDT 2011

Marc:  I had contact with Jim Schardt about a month before the Mitty, hoping
he would show up there with James Reeve.  Would have been so neat for them
to be on the track again together after all the years.  It has been about 40
years since they were at the Runoffs together, the only two seriously
running Stingers at the time.  He wasn't able to attend the Mitty, but said
he was going to Mid-Ohio, his home track, next weekend.  He hasn't raced the
Stinger since the Yenko Reunion ten years ago.

My sense is this weekend could be his last event, as he is well into his
seventy's and may not be in great health.  Just something he said which I'm
extrapolating from.

Hope you go, take lots of pictures, and take a tape recorder and talk to him
about his career with Stingers.  Do your home work, as he does not answer
open ended fishing trip questions well.

If you see him, say "HI!" to him and Nancy for me.  Two of the coolest
people I've ever met.

Wish I could be there.  Back in the late '70's, he put on paper with the
"Dayton Wheel Product Yenko Stinger Preparation Manual" most of the
information everybody needed to know about race prepping Stingers to then
current rules.  He also organized and funded to some degree several Stinger
events.  He would not tell me when asked, as he shuns the limelight.  What
he doesn't say is sometimes more telling than what he does say.

It would be really nice if some of "us" could show up, even as spectators.

I think he should be invited to next years PCG Workshop, if they can be
pried out of Florida!

We all owe him.

Historically Yours,
                  James Rice
                  CORSA member since mid-70's
                  Former Chairman of the Competition Committee
                  Member of original CPF Advisorary Committee
                  CORSA/CPF BoD member and CPF Liaison 1999-01
			PCG SIG member
                  Occasional contributor to the Communique

Message: 6