<VV> Placement of 65 Rear Speaker and 66 Rear Speaker

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Fri Jun 24 01:27:44 EDT 2011

KMFEAR at aol.com writes:
Im  installing a factory rear speaker in my 65 coupe. Clarks cardboard has
the  speaker cutout on the passenger side rear (quite smaller than correct
speaker). The factory insulation is "perforated: for a speaker in the
center. Anyone what is correct?

Kevin Fear  Jr

Kevin - The 65 had no provision for Stereo speakers, because there was no
true stereo radio option. The AM radio was, of course, mono. They offered a
rear  speaker option with the AM radio - and the mono-AM-FM radio. That
option used a  ring around one of the knobs to fade between the front speaker in
the middle of  the grille, and the single rear speaker - mounted on a
bracket in the middle of  the package shelf. In 1965 GM offered an ultra rare
almost-stereo  option (dealer only, I believe) - really, I guess "bi-naural".
It mounted a  stereo adapter under the dash which had a plug into the bottom
of the radio. It  added some controls on it's faceplate including what was
really a balance  control between the two channels. One channel was fed back
into the radio  and out to the front speaker, the other was amped in the
adapter and sent to the  rear speaker. SO that was "sort-of-stereo". In 1966
the dealer option added  another control on the adapter, giving the output -
now to four speakers - a  left-right balance and a front-rear fader control.
This added the "Ugliest  speakers ever" option where the dealer would slice
into the door and the door  panel to mount the front speakers and (in a
coupe) add the new rear speaker  shelf - now with the speakers offset left and
right to gave a stereo separation  effect. When only the front-rear fader
option was taken on the 66-up, they used  the passenger side hole and mount,
and of course the original center mount front  speaker. One other peculiar
note. In the 66-up 4-speakers systems -and in the  equivalent systems in the
other GM cars,  the rear speakers carried the  other side signal - The
left-rear and the right-front had the right-side Stereo  track, the right-rear and
the left-front had the left side stereo track. This  was intended to provide
a stereo effect anywhere you sat in the car. (I feel a  sudden disturbance
in the force, like dozens of audiophiles are jumping off  of cliffs!) I
installed a complete factory AM-FM Stereo system into a 66  Corsa - about 40
years ago. I reversed the rears as the instructions said - but  I really didn't
notice much of a difference. You have the option, of course to  put the
speaker any place you want it. If the package shelf already has the  cutout in
the right rear - and yes those 66 speakers were smaller than the 65s,  as I
recall - go ahead and put it there. If it has to be located in the middle
because a Concours judge would go apoplectic and keel over during the show,
get  another shelf. I don't think you will hear much of a difference in
placement, especially if you have decent mufflers on the motor. <grin> -  Have
fun with it!

Seth Emerson