<VV> Noisy Lifter

eamsquared at comcast.net eamsquared at comcast.net
Mon Jun 27 06:42:00 EDT 2011

Ray,

I have had my lifters drain and make noise for over twenty minutes, even when taken for a drive.  They did eventually quite down after about twenty minutes.  I have the original engine in the car with 116,000 miles on it.  This long time interval does not happen too often, but it has happened several times over the time I have had the car.  I am the original owner of the car.  I now run Mobile 1 in the car but this long duration valve tap has happened with Mobil 1 and 10-40 conventional oil.

I would not be so quick to readjust the valves.  I would let the car run for at least a half hour and drive it and see if it goes away.  Of course I would look for other remedies if the noise didn't go away after about an hour or so.  Live with it for a while and see what happens.

I have found that this problem is reduced if the engine is cranked for a while before the engine starts.  This pumps the oil around the engine before starting.  I only pump the accelerator pedal twice before starting.  This generally allows the engine to crank for a while before it starts.

Erich Meyer

Bayshore Corvair

Brick, NJ