<VV> Engine with no compression

corvairduval at cox.net corvairduval at cox.net
Tue Jun 28 14:27:18 EDT 2011

When you tried starting the engine after its 4 year sleep, did you just
crank it with the four year old gasoline in the system?

If so, I would drain the gasoline from everything. Refill with newer
gasoline. Take off the valve covers and see which intake valves are stuck.
Apply liberal amounts of carb cleaner and lubricant (carb cleaner to remove
the sticky from the stems, lubrication to allow the stems to move again).
You may have to use a hammer and other tools to move the stems to start.

This happened once to me when I tried to burn old gasoline from a sleeping
cutomer car in the shop Corvan to get rid of it. Mix ratio was too high,
probably 4 parts old to one part existing in the tank (shop van never had
too much gas...). Stuck all three intakes on one side. A little work and we
were driving it again.

Frank DuVal