<VV> Quick read - Flat four engine in front, driving rear wheels.

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Wed Mar 2 13:11:36 EST 2011

Flat-four engine is the heart of Subaru, Toyota  sports coupes
By JIM HENRY on  3/02/2011

Subaru is  proud that Toyota picked a Subaru boxer engine for the
rear-drive _sports  car_ (#)  the brands will share starting next year.  "Form
follows function,"  said Toshio Masuda, Subaru's senior project general manager
for the  Subaru-Toyota joint venture. "The boxer engine is lightweight,
compact and has a  low center of gravity," he said at the Geneva motor show.
Masuda said the boxer  engine's flat profile allowed the partners to place the
engine's center of  gravity "this high," gesturing at his knees. That
placement is almost five  inches lower than where a conventional I4 would have been,
and lower in the car  than any car this side of supercars such as Ferrari,
he said. The low center of  gravity produces better handling, he said.

Now  if we could only get them to put the engine in the rear, like our
Corvairs!

Seth  Emerson

C's the Day! - Corvair, Camaro, Corvette
San Jose,  CA