<VV> ZDDP in Accel Oil

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Sun Mar 6 18:38:30 EST 2011

Hi Ken,

PPM stand for 'parts per million', that's how much Zinc or Phosphorus is in the oil.  SL oil specified 1000 PPM of ZDDP (a compound that contains Zinc and Phosphorus), so there is some logic behind using that as an acceptable amount for flat tappet engines.  I don't know how much ZDDP is in the oil you're using or in the additive, so I can't help you there, sorry.  Personally I use oil with those levels, there are still a few available, my current choice is Mobil 1 15W-50, although their 0W-40 looks reasonable too so I may try that in the 110 that's going into the '65.  Hope that helps.

--Bryan