<VV> Smitty Don't Beat Nobuddy

Smitty vairologist at cox.net
Mon Mar 7 11:08:23 EST 2011

Smitty Says;  First of all , let's get this straight.  I don't beat anybody
anymore.  My Sweet Thing who I introduced to autocrossing 25 years ago has
become smoother and smoother while I have lost my reflexes.  My goal now is
to match her performance.  I happy for her success.
Tony's comment on the weak Ford 4 speeds reminded me of an English box in
one of my daughter's Mustang 2, V-6.  When she bought it with my blessing,
it was dirt cheap because 2nd and high could not be engaged.  Long story
short, it was a bent shifting fork.  Dealer told me they had two kinds.  The
ones that bent and the ones that snapped off.  Obviously we had the kind
that bent.  I put them in the vise, beat on them, and put them back in the
car.  I did that about 4 times till I convinced her she couldn't fire
lightning fast 1st to 2nd shifts like she had been used to in the Corvair.
When she sold it the kid that was looking at it took it around the block.
Brought it back and said he didn't want it.  Leter she found that the forks
were bent again.  ggggg  You might be able to beat the synchros out of a
Corvair box but you won't break one shifting with street tires.