<VV> Gremlins!

Ray Rodriguez III vairguy at echoes.net
Thu Mar 10 15:50:58 EST 2011

That is the cause... I'm sure of it!

((FYI- I made this same post on Corvairforum.com, but no answer thus far so I thought I'd ask here.. if you read it there it is the same text))

Two days ago the right turn signal stopped working. The switch feels fine but nothing happens. I checked at the sockets and the signal wire just stays grounded when I turn on the switch as opposed to the working one which makes and breaks ground. Based on these checks I'm fairly certain the problem is not in the sockets... likely the switch.

I pulled into a gas station 10 minutes from home just now (in the 63' Monza) and turned the key off, nothing happened. I switched it back and forth, felt ok but no reaction from the car.

I got out, filled up, got back in, and turned left out of the parking lot. The fan/gen light came on (maybe it was already on dimly and got bright). I pulled into a parking lot and checked the belt..... it was fine. I pulled back out and then observed that any time I turned the left turn signal on the Gen light got bright (dim the rest of the time) and the wipers stopped! Turning the switch to run had the same effect, in "off" the gen light dimmed and wipers resumed. Around the same time I noticed the steering wheel squeaking when I turn which it never did before... making me think maybe part of the problem goes back to the signal that died the other day without explanation.

Also the headlight switch was on this whole time due to rain, but I observed when I got home that I had no lights at all. No burning smell or anything.

I got home, pulled the coil wire off, disconnected the negative battery cable, and came upstairs to write this! Here I sit... I figure the ignition switch is the most likely culprit but not sure how to check it (I dont have any other early model switches).

I'm going to look over the diagrams, but I doubt they will help. From what little I know these kind of "gremlins" are usually ground related.

I do not have any EM literature either.

Thanks!

Ray "Grymm" Rodriguez III
Lake Ariel, PA
66' Corsa 140 coupe
63' Monza PG (winter driver)
65' Corsa 140 coupe  (under construction)