<VV> Propane

kevin nash wrokit at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 11 23:43:21 EST 2011

> Message: 4
> Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 13:01:42 EST
> From: FrankCB at aol.com
> Subject: Re: <VV> Propane
> To: thesuperscribe at yahoo.com, virtualvairs at corvair.org
>
> You could always ask Tom Keosababian about using propane in your Corvair.
> His "Clean Air" Corvair ran 173 mph at Bonneville using propane with twin
> turbochargers. Of course, he DID use lots of water injection to keep it
> all together!!
> LPG is a great automotive fuel. It's just a question of the COST of using
> it compared to gasoline.
>
> Frank Burkhard
>

> In a message dated 3/10/2011 10:26:07 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
> thesuperscribe at yahoo.com writes:
>
> Liquified petroleum gas -- "propane " -- has been a byproduct of oil
> refining,
> but now about 55% of propane comes from natural gas, according to the
> Propane
> Education & Research Council (www.propanecouncil.org). It also says that
> propane
> is the most widely used alternative fuel in the world, with 14 million
> vehicles
> burning it, though not many in the U.S. Yet the infrastructure is in place
> here
> for us to use if we want to.
>

> --Tom in Ohio
>
> --Tom Berg

 As long as we are talking about alternative fuel sources, I thought I would mention Butanol- It has a energy density very
simaliar to gasoline, is non corrosive, burns cleaner than gasoline does, and, at least in efi cars, get a little better fuel milage
than they do on gasoline. It doesnt absorb water nearly as much as ethanol does, and is much less evaporative than either
ethanol or gasoline is. Also, it can easily be made from a variety of non petroleum sources, although until recently was made
strictly from petroleum, for paint solvents. Even from petroleum, apparently, it can be bought for $3.75/gal, and that is cheaper
than the $4.5/gal that I have to pay right now for super. Butanol from bioderived sources disappeared in the 1950's when it
became cheaper to make it from petroleum, but in the past few years there has been alot of innovation that has made
butanol much cheaper to produce from bioderived sources than it used to. Yes, there are some issues with running butanol
in a carburetor car, mostly because it is more viscous than gasoline is, but this is a very simple fix compared to switching over
to propane.
Kevin Nash