<VV> Fw: Oops - need advice

Michael Kovacs kovacsmj at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 14 16:11:43 EDT 2011

 MIKE KOVACS

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: Michael Kovacs <kovacsmj at sbcglobal.net>
To: Joe Hennerfeind <hennerfeind_joe at yahoo.com>
Sent: Mon, March 14, 2011 4:09:48 PM
Subject: Re: <VV> Oops - need advice

Joe. did you round off the flats on the spark plug? If so, I  wouldn't try to
get it out.  Did you try tightening it first a just a little? If you get it to
move out, it just may strip the aluminum and then you'd have to deal with an
insert in the aluminum head. You might try a 3/4 six point socket to force over
the 13/16 spark plug. If this does not work, or is really tight trying to turn
it, I'd go for a machine shop and let them figure out a way. Drilling out the
center and then heating the aluminum might work once the head is off, and good
grip is left on the spark plug. i

I guess you know a very light torque is put on the plugs at installation  on a
COLD engine. A plug with too long a threaded area can carbon up the tip area
making removal a real problem

MIKE KOVACS