<VV> PG rated (Chaparral) No Corvair

taruffi57 at aol.com taruffi57 at aol.com
Thu Mar 17 02:13:25 EDT 2011

Well, I was sitting on the roof of a borrrowed V W camper in the esses at Sebring in '67 watching the seesaw battle between the yellow Andretti/McLaren Mk IV Ford (GT) & the Spence/Hall 2F Chaparral.   This went on until dusk - when the PG failed (once more).  When they were running together, both showed some serious brute strength everywhere - but especially drag racing together out of the hairpin.  No one was hanging about....... and it was very obvious that all 4 drivers did not want to be 2nd.  There is an out-of-sight straight to your right - before the esses, so you just get used to what car is coming (running counterclockwise) by sound.  That big Chevy in the Chaparral could be heard a mile away.  Them were the days of big hairy sports cars, boys.  And I can still hear them now.

Joe Dunlap
Florida