<VV> Amsoil Specifications (was: 25,000 mile oil change)

Dale Dewald dkdewald at pasty.net
Fri Mar 18 10:15:36 EDT 2011

At 02:06 3/18/2011 -0400, J R Read wrote:

 >>snip<<

>I could not find a spot on the Amsoil website to tell me the ZDP levels.  If
>I simply missed it, please let me know how to find it.

Here is the link to their flat-tappet cam bulletin:

http://www.amsoil.com/techservicesbulletin/motoroil/tsb%20mo-2007-08-08%20flat%20tappet.pdf

>Again, it is not my intention to pick on Amsoil (or you).  I'm simply
>looking for the facts in order to be able to make informed decisions about
>what oil I want to put in my 50ish year old Corvairs.

I think we all have to face the fact that the most widely available motor
oils are now formulated to work in modern engines, which have significantly
different requirements than those of the air-cooled Corvair
engine.  Fortunately, there are a lot of specialty lubricant manufacturers
who still make suitable products.  It also pays to look around your local
area. My neighborhood FLAPS has a selection of Amsoil and Brad Penn oils on
the shelf...

Dale Dewald
Hancock, MI