<VV> Subject: Re: Castrol Syntec / ZDDP / SL

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Sat Mar 19 14:04:50 EDT 2011

At 01:04 AM 3/19/2011, Stephen Upham wrote:
>Just my luck.  I bought the 10w-30 Castrol Syntec that doesn't mention
>any of that.  So...  I priced the Mobil 1 15w-50 that was one of the
>recommendations.  It was nowhere to be found at the local FLAPS.  I
>called Mobil and they gave me two leads.  One in Houston, a scant four
>hour drive away, and another in West Dallas that was manageably
>close.  Unfortunately they wanted $39.99 for half a case. I decided at
>that point to go with the Brad Penn 15w-40 (the "green" oil) that I
>could also get locally for $60 a case.

Outstanding choice.   IMHO there's no better oil for an older vehicle
for the money.   Period.

I used this oil when it was still branded as Kendall GT1 Race Oil in
a musclecar that was abused and run HARD and the oil stood
up.   Engine wear on things like the cam and lifters etc (with some
serious valve springs) was never an issue, ever.  Likewise rod
bearings that had to stand up to 7200 rpm blasts (more times than I'd
wanna admit) in an engine with a 4.25" bore and a 3.75" stroke,
moving a fairly heavy piston.  The rods weren't featherweights
either...   The "green oil" worked.  It also would maintain decent
oil pressure better than other oils when hot, such as after 50 miles
at 70 mph, engine buzzing 3300 rpm the entire time.

Lots of people trusted that green oil, myself among them... including
Isky Cams which recommended it by name, *on the packaging* for their
camshafts used in performance engines.

My trouble now is that there's no close-by source for the Brad Penn
oil.    Maybe someone local will carry it sooner or later.

...I must "worship from afar".

tony..