<VV> EM rear wheel bearing grease fitting install?

Ray Rodriguez III vairguy at echoes.net
Sat Mar 19 21:39:14 EDT 2011

Greetings Vairfolk,

     One of the remaining areas of concern on the 63' is the rear wheel bearings.  One of my books (HTKYCA I think) shows where to drill the hole and how big, but I don't yet have a shop manual for the EM so I don't know what I have to take apart and how to do it.  Can anyone either link me to instructions or write some up for me?  I really want to get these greased before something goes wrong since they sat for 25 years.

     On a related note, how noticeable is the "rumble" or whatever when a wheel bearing is beginning to fail?  I'm prone to paranoia so every time I drive the car I start thinking I'm hearing a wheel bearing.  I stop the engine, coast a bit, and decide it's just normal road noise and exhaust resonation.  The car is quite noisy inside at this point (needs weatherstripping, bushings, and a muffler pretty badly) so I'm afraid I'll miss it.  On the bright side I fixed the turn signal switch right up today thanks to a tip from a fellow enthusiast.  Boy do I wish my late model cars had such a nice simple signal switch!!!

Ray "Grymm" Rodriguez III
Lake Ariel, PA
66' Corsa 140 coupe
63' Monza PG (winter driver)
65' Corsa 140 coupe  (under construction)