<VV> Greasing axle bearings

Ray Rodriguez III vairguy at echoes.net
Mon Mar 21 01:31:00 EDT 2011

Wait, I'm confused.

I'm a little fuzzy on what exactly the difference in procedure between the
riveted and the cast type bearings is.

My interpretation of the combined posts by Frank and Tony is that when you
open the 63-64 cast type you only have minimal access from the back and
can't easily inspect the bearings (but it is somewhat possible as Tony
described) and properly re-packing the bearing will require a needle type
grease injector, whereas the earlier riveted type come right apart and the
internals can easily be cleaned, checked, and packed by hand... is that
about right?

Ray R.