<VV> Replacing cylinder barrel over piston.

Clark Hartzel chartzel at comcast.net
Tue Mar 22 09:58:02 EDT 2011

I did this once on an engine that smoked badly on one side.  It turned out
to be broken rings on the #3 piston.  The piston and cylinder looked good so
I put new rings on that piston only and reassembled.  One thing you must
watch is the notch in the bottom of the late cylinder barrel.  Be sure to
put the ring gaps in a solid area of the bore so the end of a ring doesn't
pop out into the notch and hang up.  The "take apart" ring compressor works
fine and the chamfer on the bottom of the cylinder actually helps the rings
slide into the barrel.  I was able to do this repair on a 1965 car without
lowering the engine or even removing the turkey roaster.  I did have to
unscrew the carb studs and the coil stud but that was easy compared to
removing all the sheet metal and lowering the engine.
Clark Hartzel