<VV> Flat Towing a Corvair & Bones & Switches

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 24 17:09:42 EDT 2011

>Dollies were designed to accommodate front-wheel-drive vehicles.

I'm not so sure that tow dollies don't significantly pre-date the modern
FWD vehicles -- the poor man's tow truck has been around a long time --
I'm not including Saabs and DKW's and other things such as you may find
near lclc in my reckoning.  But yes, operable PG Vairs can be flat towed
(see your Owner's Manual -- car in neutral & 50 mph max) -- the
transmission has a "rear pump", driven by the output shaft.  It is what
makes it possible to push start a PG equipped Vair, and as such, I don't
get the idea that one would need to stop in order to start the engine
periodically to circulate lubricants that are already being circulated.
However, if that is what is needed to get you to take a break at
suggested driving intervals, so be it! Won't hurt anything, either way.
YMMV.

Standard modern trombones do not technically have slide valves -- yes,
they have a slide, but it is not a valve, nor is it valved.  Slide
valves are common to steam locomotives and a small set of slide valve
internal combustion engines, most of which are now in museums of some
sort or lclc's back yard.  There are such things as valve trombones, and
most bass trombones have a single rotary valve.

The thing in a dual master cylindered Corvair is a switch, not a valve.
It might work better if it were a valve, but it ain't.  Now this is
different from the "combination valve" that succeeded this switch by
combining it with a proportioning valve when they introduced front disc
brakes.  Take one apart if you don't believe -- they don't cast that
piece of brass with a valve inside it and then machine it -- they put a
valve in a machined piece of brass, and "you" should be able to remove it.

Bill Strickland