<VV> Head Issues

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Fri Mar 25 19:27:08 EDT 2011

In a message dated 3/25/2011 4:09:58 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
62vair at gmail.com writes:

Byron.  That hole does not look that bad. I would think one of those
inserts you  find in Clarks catalog would work. People swear by the
time inserts, and  Clarks rents the tools for doing the job. So, I'd
give that a try before  dismantling anything.  You might want to call
Clarks and see if a tech  guy can tell you how big of an opening the
time serts can do and make a  recommendation for you. You may need to
measure the diameter of the hole  for him with a inside micrometer. The
link below, if copied, will take you  to clarks page in the catalog,
page 173. Mark Durham

Byron - I just used the Clarks Timeserts to replace all of the threads in a
 pair of heads destined for the race car. Hey, the heads were off and one
of  the threads was chewed up a bit, so I did them all. I love that kit and
the  threads are easy to do. BUT, if the hole is really bad (I can't tell
from the  photo - my eyeball went out of calibration a few years ago) - Larry
Claypool has a special larger insert for those instances where an insert
either  blew out or was screwed up. You can buy just insert from him and have
it  installed locally, or send him the head - he will know what to do.

At least give him a call before you spend a bunch more OR get another  head.

- Seth Emerson