<VV> Fwd: : Corvair content, Really! (brakes)

Ken Pepke kenpepke at juno.com
Sat Mar 26 09:14:48 EDT 2011

Right tony.  Cleaning and lubing bearings is a great idea.  The new greases available today are also far superior to the OEM.

Funny thing though is the EMs broke wheel bearings when the were not yet old enough to have been dried out.  The first one that came to me was a '62 and as I remember it was in '64.  My wife's '63 had a bearing failure during a slow left turn in '81.  Never made a sound and the wheel did not get out of the wheelhouse so the brake shoes still caught the edge of the drum and she was able to stop.  I chalked the death of these bearings up to material failure caused by lateral acceleration as neither were dry.  Corvairs are somewhat unique in they apply lateral loads to the rear wheel bearings.  Now that I am thinking about it, of all the cars that came to the junkyard with failed bearings, I can't remember a dry one!  That is not to say that there were none but it is to say that properly lubed bearings can fail also.
Ken P