<VV> Long Time Friend Of The Corvair Passes On

MSYVairs at aol.com MSYVairs at aol.com
Mon Mar 28 10:22:44 EDT 2011

He will be missed !

Bill Hadley
Baton Rouge,LA

*****************************

Longtime auto journalist David E. Davis Jr. dies

____________________________________

____________________________________

    *       *

_Recommend (1) _ (#none)

    *   _Print_
(/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110328/CARNEWS/303289999&Show=0&SAXOEdAjax=1&AjaxRequestUniqueId=1301318033792100&template=printart)
    *       *

(http://autoweek.com/storyimage/CW/20110328/CARNEWS/303289999/AR/AR-303289999.jpg)
David E.  Davis Jr. was editor for Car and Driver and Automobile magazines
during a long career in auto  journalism.

By STEVEN COLE SMITH on 3/28/2011

David E. Davis Jr., inarguably one of the deans of automotive  journalism,
died on Sunday, March 27, at age 80. Davis had been suffering from  bladder
cancer and underwent surgery a few days earlier. Even so, his passing  was
unexpected. He appeared to be in comparatively good health and was in
reasonably good spirits at the Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance in Florida just
two weeks earlier.
Davis was the founder of Automobile  magazine, which just celebrated his
25th anniversary, and prior to that he was  the editor of Car and Driver. He
had returned to the  pages of Car and Driver in the summer of 2009 to write a
 monthly column for the magazine's editor, Eddie Alterman, a graduate of
Automobile magazine.
“He was a man of enormous talent and presence, genteel most  often, and
scythelike when he had to be,” said AutoWeek  associate publisher and editorial
director Dutch Mandel, whose late father and  predecessor at AutoWeek,
Leon, was one of the few in the  business who could go toe-to-toe with Davis in
both talent and occasional  irascibility. “My father had great respect for
David and still had the  distinction of firing him from Car and Driver. David
 taught multiple generations what great automotive journalism looked like.”
After leaving Automobile, Davis took  over the online magazine Winding Road
before returning to the pages of Car and Driver in 2009.
Davis was a lifelong car enthusiast and, early in his career,  a racer,
until a serious accident at age 24 nearly cost him his life and left  him with
severe facial injuries that required plastic surgery, though with his
trademark beard, few would suspect. In 1955, he flipped his race car upside down
during a national championship in California. He lost his left eyelid, the
bridge of his nose, the roof of his mouth and all but a few of his teeth.
“I was uglier than a mud fence,” he said in a commencement  speech to
4,000 University of Michigan graduates in spring 2004. “I actually  frightened
children and sometimes caused their parents to call the police on  me.”
Following that, Davis said that he “understood with great  clarity that
nothing in life, except death itself, was ever going to kill me. No  meeting
could ever go that badly. No client would ever be that angry. No  business
error would ever bring me as close to the brink as I had already  been.”
That perhaps explains Davis's take-no-prisoners style of  journalism, which
he personally practiced as a writer and an editor. Though  actually quite
shy, Davis was a superb speaker but typically let his writing  speak for him.
Davis did not shy away from feuds and, in fact, started  several, one of
the most famous with writer Brock Yates. In 1991, Davis slammed  Yates's book
on Enzo Ferrari. The feud continued for years, with Yates adding  his own
wood to the fire: “To know him is to acknowledge his short fuse and his
penchant for unpredictable, snorting charges at friendly targets.”
The two did make up and, in fact, Davis was in the front row  for a seminar
at Amelia Island hosted by Yates on the history of the Cannonball  Run.
Among the literally hundreds of writers whom Davis  influenced--including
his own son, Matt, who has written for AutoWeek and who remains a European
correspondent for  multiple publications--was Jean Jennings, plucked from her
previous careers of  driving a taxi and testing vehicles for Chrysler to
become Davis's most visible  protégé. Jennings left Car and Driver with Davis
to start  Automobile for the then-owner Rupert Murdoch, and while  the two
will forever be connected in journalism history, they had some battles  of
their own that were legendary and which led to periodic estrangement.
As recently as 2009, Davis, in an interview with Autoline:  Detroit, said
he sometimes dreams “of a FedEx flight on its way to Memphis  flying over
Parma where she lives and a grand piano falling out of the airplane  and
whistling down through the air, this enormous object, and lands on her and  makes
the damnedest chord anybody has ever heard; this sound of music that has
never been heard by the human ear. And the next morning all they can find are
some shards of wood and a grease spot and no other trace of Mrs. Jennings.”
Still, in her story in the April issue of Automobile on its 25th birthday,
Jennings wrote of Davis as  “the most interesting, most difficult,
cleverest, darkest, most erudite,  dandiest, and most inspirational, charismatic and
all-around damnedest human  being I will ever meet. I have loved him. I have
seriously not loved him. But  this isn't an obituary, so we don't have to
get into any weepy crap here.”
Unfortunately, now we do.
“I worked for David E. in the magazine world and in the  advertising
business,” said William Jeanes, another contemporary of Davis and  himself the
former editor and publisher of Car and  Driver, and publisher of Road & Track. “
He never  fired me. I always suspected that he just never got around to it,
but it's  nonetheless true. We were also competitors for a while, during
which period he  took a shot or two from time to time. But so did I; that's
competition. Our  relationship was never less than cordial, and it became
quite close as the years  went on.
“Every one of us who ever picked up a pen, pencil, typewriter  or word
processor to write about cars owes David E. Davis Jr. more than we will  ever be
able to repay. He made our writing better, and he saw to it that we were
well paid. He did nothing less than change the paradigm for car magazines and
 raise the standards for all enthusiast magazines. In our orbit he stands
unchallenged as the best storyteller that ever was. I only wish he'd told
his  own more completely. He was not always a gentle man, but he was forever a
 gentleman. We were already deficient in that category, and now we've lost
one of  the real ones.”
Davis leaves behind his wife, Jeannie, a daughter and two  sons. Services
are pending.

Read more:
_http://www.autoweek.com/article/20110328/CARNEWS/303289999#ixzz1Hu6mnSiZ_
(http://www.autoweek.com/article/20110328/CARNEWS/303289999#ixzz1Hu6mnSiZ)