<VV> need help ignition switch removal

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Thu Mar 31 10:25:15 EDT 2011

As Ray noted, most cars aren't stolen by pros to get chopped or shipped overseas, they are mostly stolen by someone looking for a ride or something they can quickly grab to turn into a few bucks.  Way back my '65 was stolen.  I had carefully done a number of 'anti-theft' things to protect my stereo installation and locked the car.  They key was in my pocket.

The thieves simply broke the window, cut the wires to the ignition switch and twisted the ignition to the hot wire then touched the starter wire to start, drove the car somewhere more secluded, and used a crowbar to tear the brackets out of the dash.  Just for an added bonus, they fried the clutch.

The best anti theft setup I've seen was done by the PO of our '87 Plymouth cop car.  He spliced the neutral safety switch to the cruise control so you had to push the cruise switch to start the car, and if you didn't the horn honked.  Somebody tried to steal that car once, unsuccessfully.

--Bryan