<VV> 62 and 63 YH carb differences?

Doug Mackintosh dougmackintosh at yahoo.com
Fri May 6 00:05:21 EDT 2011

Hi, Mark!

I agree with another advisor who said to watch the total advance. If that is the
problem, you can back off the static timing, or you can limit the available
advance. I had pinging problems with my daughter's Spyder with the
Advance/Retard mechanism. I made a tapered wedge from 1/8" suspension shim and
made bracket from aluminum flashing to attach it under a distributor cap bolt.
The tapered wedge slipped between the vacuum advance arm and vacuum advance pot
to restrict maximum advance.  You can bend the flashing bracket to adjust
the wedge.  Fully down completely blocked the advance. Sounds more complicated
than it was, and the fix was effective. By limiting the advance, you can leave
the static advance in, which makes it a little livelier on initial tipin.

Mark Francis wrote:
<<I just noticed that my 63 Spyder has a 62 YH carb on it (body # 0-1507)
with a 63 compressor housing with PCV.  After having a complete engine
rebuild, I now have some pinging when in boost, and thats with High octane gas,

and a new "boost-retard" that is working.  What's the difference between  the
62 and 63 YH carb bodies?  I see that when ordering rods and jets,  there
is some difference.  I am trying to go richer as a last effort to  stop the
ping, and plan to order another rod and jet to see if that helps.  Any
suggestions?  Thanks!  Mark Francis  63 Spyder  Powhatan, Va.>>

 -- Doug Mackintosh
Corsa member since 1996
Corsa/NC member since 1996, Virtual Vairs member
Corvair owner 1969-1971 and 1996-on