<VV> Rebuilt Carbs

Byron Comp byron.comp at yahoo.com
Sat May 7 19:26:34 EDT 2011

Since my project car is finally running, I'm tinkering with some minor adjustments. Yesterday I found a needle-valve adjusting screw, (the one with the spring on the side of the carb body) was bent just enough to throw off the fine tuning adjustment. It was a rebuild from one of the Corvair suppliers. Luckily, I now have some extra "stuff" from the parts car I bought and a screw from one of those carbs did the trick. Now to fine tune the lash adjustment on the left bank valves: I've got a popcorn machine on that side right now. Maybe Monday.

> Message: 3
> Date: Fri, 6 May 2011 22:50:36 -0400
> From: Ramon Rodriguez III <corvairgrymm at gmail.com>
> Subject: <VV> ebay, carbs, a lesson learned
> To: virtualvairs at corvair.org
>
> Today I put an end to the carburetor troubles mystery.  I installed the
> carbs and started the engine, I discovered the idle circuit on one is
> functional (at least partially) and the other is not, so I pulled that one
> off and finally just took it apart (confidence bolstered by taking apart one
> of my two "junk" carbs).
>
> I suppose I'll go short and to the point here, I discovered that the idle
> fuel pick-up tube was mostly clogged.. so the CORSA tech guide trick would
> have done the job if I'd managed to find the right gauge wire or if I used a
> torch tip cleaner, drill, or any of the other suggestions you guys made.
> The wire that I'd done the job with was about .001 too large diameter to go
> the last tiny bit through the tip where it was clogged....  it got so close
> that based on the measurement of how far it should go in I had thought it
> worked.

BIG SNIP

Byron Comp
'64 Monza Vert.