<VV> Windshield storage

corvairduval at cox.net corvairduval at cox.net
Mon May 9 16:52:06 EDT 2011

Smitty has it right, as most of you all did. The object is to support it
against gravity. Horizontal only works like Bob said, fully supported along
all of its area.

Vertical is easy. And the least likely to cause bending.

Remember, glass is a LIQUID! A very viscous liquid. Look at window glass a
100 years old. Not flat anymore.

All the glass warehouses I have been in store the glass vertical. Enough
said!

An easy way to store more than one piece, build a frame out of 2x4s sitting
flat on the floor. Drill holes to hold 1/2" EMT conduit about 1 1/2' tall
say a couple of inches apart. Cover the conduit with pipe insulation foam.
Build it as big as you may have glass to store. I built one when in
business and gave it to a fellow club member to store Corvair glass. Need
to build another....

I do have one constructed entirely out of 2x4s I used to transport glass
when I moved. Fit the back of a pickup great, but the bulk of the 2x4
verticals make it not compact storage. But if the 2x4s are free....

Frank DuVal

Smitty says.  Not a good idea to store one any way but upright on it's
lower
edge.  I came by a really nice windshield that had been stored "belly down"
for years on a shelf .  I measured it from point to point across the bottom
and it was almost 3/4 inch longer than it should have been.  I knew if I
could even get it in a gasket it wouldn't be right.  I put it in the attic
standing on one of its points upright (standing tall).  Nailed a couple of
strips of wood alongside it to keep it from falling, and wrote the
dimension
on a rafter.  Every so often checked to see how it was doing and wrote down
the new measurement..  After a year and a half I turned it around and stood
it on the other end.  Total of three years and the dimension was correct.
Then it was stored on its lower edge.  It will be going into Spike sometime
this summer.