<VV> Steele rubber

kaczmarek at charter.net kaczmarek at charter.net
Tue May 10 12:50:12 EDT 2011

Harry
Just read the article.

It went down as described to the best of my knowledge.
Steele is known as a manufacturer and wholesaler/retailer of high
quality rubber weatherstripping products for Antique, muscle and
collector cars.

As the article stated, all of our parts were designed from originals
from cars we bought or sent to us by owners. We make our drawings from
the originals, GM does not give that stuff up if indeed they still have
it. We also make parts for MOPAR, PACKARD, and some of our Ford/Lincoln
line in addition to all the GM divisions and some pre-war independent
manufactured cars.

Rubber Compounds have changed drastically even from what was used in the
80's. The synthetic rubber we use now is a 21st Century compound.
Durometers can and do make a difference in how things fit and finish.

I don't think we ever take the attitude that we know everything. And
manufacturing errors will take place, as long as the work is done by
members of the human race. We live and die by our quality. And when a
customer calls with a quality issue, it's taken seriously. Whether it is
the one man show in the garage, or a restorer of high profile, the issue
is treated the same way. Matt Agosta's office is less than 4 feet from
my seat, and he does take an active part in quality resolutions as well
as new part design. While Lynn Steele was still living, Matt worked in
our design department as well as all the other things Lynn expected from
his son-in-law being in the business.

About 6 years ago when I first started here there was a big flap on the
EM Corvair Windshield gasket.  Clark's doesn't carry our gasket, and
people were trimming their chrome to make it fit.  Our first Corvair
gasket was put together using the same 50's extrusions mentioned in the
article.  In the early 90's, Denver NC's own Corvair Man, Eric Jolly of
Corvair Specialties, lent the company his EM Coupe to copy the gaskets
and have the car at the plant for testing of the prototypes. The
problems with the original gasket were solved with the new design.

Lon Wall, LS Corvair, CA Corvair and other vendors do offer the Steele
Gasket.

End of the day, if you don't work out issues like this with your
customers, your brand suffers, and you're going to lose customers that
nobody can afford to lose in our industry.

Hank